The Jersey Basketball Association (JBA) endeavors to create a league in which its player-participants can develop basketball skills and enjoy competition in a safe and fun environment. All coaches in the JBA will abide by the following Code of Conduct. If any of these rules are broken, the JBA shall have the authority to impose appropriate penalties including permanent removal from the League. In all cases, the JBA shall work together with the directors/administrators of our participating towns and organizations in fairly adjudicating and imposing penalties for Code violations.
Coaches in the JBA shall –
- Refrain from criticism of opposing teams, their players, coaches, and fans by word of mouth or gesture.
- Refrain from demonstrably criticizing their own players in front of spectators, but rather reserve constructive criticism for later, in private, or in the presence of team members if others might benefit.
- Accept decisions of game officials without argument as fair and called to the best of the abilities of the officials.
- Be responsible for conduct, control, and removal of any unruly fan(s) in violation of the Spectator Code of Conduct, at the request of the game officials. If this should occur, the coach has 3 options:
a) Remove the violator himself/herself from the gym.
b) Call the police to remove the violator.
c) Accept a forfeit if he/she is unable or unwilling to accomplish a) or b).
- Not use abusive or profane language at any time.
- Strive to make every game serve as a training ground for life, and a basis for good mental and physical health.
- Emphasize that winning is the result of good teamwork.
- Not “run up the score” to the extent of his/her ability; rather, using lopsided games as opportunities to play and develop less skilled players.
- Not permit participation of any player who is ineligible for any reason.
- Remove any player from games when in doubt about his/her health, whether or not as a result of injury, until competent medical advice is available.
- Not deliberately incite unsportsmanslike conduct.
- Not use alcohol, illegal substances, or tobacco products at game sites.